When the world says, ‘Give up,’ Hope whispers, ‘Try it one more time.’ ~ Author Unknown
Through the years there have been various lists of top blogs.
What an opportunity for all of us to discover new writers and blogs to read.
Addiction and recovery always needs more attention, so I decided to put together a list of top addiction recovery blogs that are inspiring others. Blogs are an amazing way to get support when you are struggling. The first thing that always comes to my mind is the amount of courage it takes for people in recovery to share their story by writing about this rather dark side of their life.
I would imagine that anyone who decides to write online about their addiction experience or their families’ experience has thought long and hard about it. The next hurdle is whether to put your real name, out there, your first name or no name at all. As we know the stigma is alive and well.
There are many decisions when you go public with your addiction story. I know of a few who have started writing online, and stopped because family members protested. This is certainly understandable as it takes much thought to bear your soul, yet it helps us all to know that we are not alone.
There is a little something for everyone here with these blogs. Some of the blogs are written by people in recovery, some are by parents of children who are struggling with substance abuse issues and some are from folks who grew up in an alcoholic households and want to share their experiences.
The blogs have articles about addiction and recovery or the author clearly states that they were in recovery and their articles are a general resource. One blog focuses on struggling children and anther more therapeutic, but certainly both cross over into the substance abuse and recovery arena. There are a few listed here from organizations with regular articles that are helpful to families, so I included those as well.
One deciding factor was that the blogs were current. While there were a few that looked good at first, they were not included because they did not have current posts.
People who write about addiction and recovery, speak from the heart. They share their journey and become a support for others who are in the same situation.
I’ve listed the blogs by their January 2014 Alexa score, which isn’t necessarily an indication about how helpful each blog will be to you, but it does tell you where the most traffic is going and where the blogs fall in the list if that is of interest to you. If you are unfamiliar with the Alexa score, think about Google, Facebook and YouTube. They are the top three ranked websites.
I want to personally thank everyone for the work that they are doing to help others beat this disease and to help families prevent their children from going down this road. It has been an honor to get to know some of the bloggers on this list.
Reminder: It’s not too late to sign up for the Rise Up Moms program with tips, information and encouragement for moms of kids struggling with drugs or alcohol.
Addiction is a devastating disease, but together, we have power. We can make a difference, starting now in 2014!
Here is the list of the top addiction and recovery blogs!
1. The Fix, http://www.thefix.com (74,836)
2. Momastery, http://momastery.com (95,935)
3. Intervene, http://intervene.drugfree.org (110,853)
4. Sober Julie, http://www.soberjulie.com (127,318)
5. Addiction Blog, http://alcohol.addictionblog.org (237,073)
6. Sober College, http://sobercollege.com (249,029)
7. Spiritual River, http://www.spiritualriver.com (311,142)
8. SoberNation, http://www.sobernation.com (359,897)
9. Chipur, http://chipur.com (399,373)
10. Sort My Life Solutions, http://www.smyls.co.uk (465,037)
11. Breaking the Cycles, http://www.breakingthecycles.com (512,917)
12. Klen + Sobr, http://www.sincerightnow.com/(827,665)
13. The Hurt Healer, http://thehurthealer.com/ (850,601)
14. Paul Garrigan.com, http://paulgarrigan.com (883,526)
15. Recovery Health Care, http://recoveryhealthcare.me (921,193)
16. Addictionland, http://www.addictionland.com (955,576)
17. Shatterproof, http://www.shatterproof.org (1,126,031)
18. Center for Motivation and Change Articles for Families, http://www.motivationandchange.com/blog (1,210,686)
19. Changing Lives Foundation, http://www.drug-addiction-
20. Drinking Diaries, http://www.drinkingdiaries.com (1,350,380)
21. Crying Out Now, http://www.cryingoutnow.com (1,477,901)
22. Phase 2 For You, http://phase2foryou.com/blog (1,577,691)
23. Parent Pathway, http://parentpathway.com (1,604,537)
24. Reach Out Recovery, http://reachoutrecovery.com (1,626,515)
25. Guinevere Gets Sober, http://guineveregetssober.com (1,815,541)
26. Tommy Rosen.com, http://www.tommyrosen.com (1,907,204)
27. The Discovering Alcoholic, http://discoveringalcoholic.com (1,924,232)
28. All About Addiction, http://www.allaboutaddiction.com (1,944,569)
29. Selected Papers of William L. White, http://www.williamwhitepapers.com/blog (1,962,066)
30. B Here Today, http://bheretoday.com (2,065,992)
31. Growing Up Chaotic, http://growingupchaotic.com (2,088,287)
32. Sandy Swenson, http://www.sandyswenson.com (2,161,875)
33. One Crafty Mother, http://www.onecraftymother.com (2,222,470)
34. Recovery Reflections, http://www.recoveryreflections.com (3,199,242)
35. Jody Lamb.com – http://www.jodylamb.com (3,331,733)
36. Quitting Crystal Meth, http://www.quittingcrystalmeth.com (3,566,985)
37. Stay Close Blog, http://libbycataldi.com/blog (3,754,209)
38. The Spirit of Recovery, http://thespiritofrecovery.net (3,976,087)
39. Rock Star Super Star Project – http://highschool-motivational-speaker.com/(4,026,423)
40. Drinking to Distraction, http://drinkingtodistraction.com (4,430,454)
41. The Brentwood House Blog, http://www.malibubeachrecoverycenter.com/blog/(4,479,885)
42. The Drug Class Blog, http://drugclass.ca (4,696,263)
43. The Immortal Alcoholic, http://www.immortalalcoholic.blogspot.com (4,815,819)
44. Addiction Inbox,The Science of Substance Abuse, http://addiction-dirkh.blogspot.com (5,191,731)
45. Recovery Maps, http://recoverymaps.com/blog (5,235,901)
46. An Addict in Our Son’s Bedroom, http://parentsofanaddict.blogspot.com (5,255,811)
47. Yoga and Recovery, http://yoga-recovery.blogspot.com (5,382,008)
48. Bye Bye Beer, http://byebyebeer.wordpress.com (5,768,600)
49. The Sober World, http://www.thesoberworld.com (6,655,457)
50. Life at Full Throttle, http://lifeatfullthrottle.com (6,723,241)
51. Addiction Journal, http://addictionjournal.net (6,803,024)
52. I’m Just F.I.N.E., http://fine-anon.blogspot.com (8,134,697)
53. Healing Imperfectly, http://healingimperfectly.blogspot.com (8,134,714)
54. Mrs. D. Is Going Without, http://livingwithoutalcohol.blogspot.com (8,134,739)
55. My Life as 3D, http://mylifeas3d.blogspot.com (9,798,364)
What is your favorite blog to read?
Be sure to let me know if you have a blog to add to this list. Let us know your thoughts in comments.
There is much to read here, so please share on Facebook, Twitter and Google+. Thank you!